When done right, dogs not only become our best friends but members of our family. It only stands to reason, then, that those who know us best — in this case, our beloved pets — have the whole story.
Enter Letters to Barley: Personal Stories My Dog Should Know (available at The Bookworm in Omaha and on Amazon).
The letters written to Barley, Wendy Townley’s West Highland White Terrier, cover a wide terrain of topics: a renewed appreciation of Nebraska’s natural beauty, a rediscovery of faith and appreciation for family, a recounting of personal trauma, and a little bit of dog humor for good measure.
Nebraska native Wendy Townley has been writing personally since the third grade, professionally since 1997. Her first book, Nerdy Thirty, was published in 2010.
With bachelor’s and master’s degrees in journalism and communication, respectively, from the University of Nebraska at Omaha, she serves as executive director of the Omaha Public Library Foundation. She also teaches part-time for the University of Nebraska at Omaha School of Communication.
Barley was born March 6, 2011, to parents Chip and Cookie. He enjoys tennis balls, chasing rabbits, belly rubs, green beans, and popcorn. Barley can’t read or write, but he loves a good story.
- Saturday, April 27, 1-4 p.m.: book signing at Hardy Coffee Highlander, 2112 North 30th Street | Facebook Event
- Wednesday, May 1, 5:30-7:30 p.m.: book signing at Spirit World, 6680 Center Street | Facebook Event
- Thursday, May 9, 6-9 p.m.: book signing at Pints for Puppers at the Mastercraft, 1111 North 13th Street | Facebook Event
- Tuesday, May 21, 4:30-6 p.m.: reading, Q&A, and book signing at the Omaha Press Club, 1620 Dodge Street, 22nd Floor | Facebook Event
- Wednesday, June 12, 9:30 a.m.: A conversation with KFAB’s Scott Voorhees on 1110 AM | Listen to the interview
- Thursday, June 13, 5-9 p.m.: book signing at the Beer Paws Pup Crawl at Midtown Crossing, 3110 Farnam Street | Facebook Event
- Saturday, July 27, 1 p.m.: reading, Q&A, and book signing at The Bookworm, 2501 South 90th Street | Facebook Event
- Wednesday, October 9: breakout session and book signing at XChange 2019 at the Scott Conference Center, 6450 Pine Street | Conference website